A drainboard sink is without doubt one of the most sensible of kitchen improvements. Lengthy a fixture of classic kitchens, a kitchen sink with drainboard can also be a well-liked industrial kitchen function as it’s ideally suited for busy areas that want a practical sink possibility.
What’s a Drainboard Sink?
A drainboard sink is one with the drainboard built-in into both one or each side of the sink. A drainboard is an space beside the basin that’s sloped with ridges to permit the dishes to take a seat off the floor and dry simpler than on a flat floor.
Kitchen sinks with drainboards have varied configurations. These embody single and double basins in addition to single or double drainboards. They’re crafted from completely different supplies, although most fashionable drainboard sinks use chrome steel. It’s also possible to set up them varied methods together with drop-in and undermount types as properly. Some have apron fronts similar to farmhouse drainboard sinks whereas others are extra modern and spare in kind.
We need to assist make selecting one of the best sink simpler as a result of there are such a lot of choices for these sinks. Take into account all the elements earlier than deciding if a drainboard sink will work on your dwelling.
Supplies for Drainboard Sinks
Every materials used for a drainboard kitchen sink has qualities that give it a special look, sturdiness, and value level.
A stainless-steel sink with drainboard is the preferred kind of drainboard sink. Stainless-steel is a sturdy materials that can also be simple to keep up.
It has pure antibacterial qualities and is proof against scratches. Plus, it is without doubt one of the most reasonably priced choices for sinks with drainboards. You’ll find a stainless sink with drainboard choices each double and single.
Forged iron drainboard sinks have a classic however timeless allure that work properly in conventional and basic kitchen types. Most classic drainboard sinks are produced from forged iron in addition to classic drainboard sink replicas. A forged iron sink with drainboard is sturdy, scratch and stain resistant. It retains warmth properly which makes washing dishes extra nice and environment friendly in case you are washing many dishes at a time.
However, a forged iron drainboard kitchen sink is without doubt one of the heaviest choices accessible and should not work for cupboards with out structural help. They’re additionally a costlier drainboard sink possibility.
Copper kitchen sinks with drainboard areas should not a typical selection, however there are alternatives on the market for these wanting so as to add a particular look of their kitchen. Copper is sturdy, sturdy, lovely and recyclable. It additionally has antibacterial properties like chrome steel that make it a perfect sink materials.
Copper sinks are vulnerable to scratches and clean finishes could get dinged. Select the highest quality copper drainboard sink with a purpose to be sure that it lasts over time.
Fireclay sinks are produced from a mixture of clay and glaze which might be fired at a really excessive temperature. This produces one of the vital sturdy supplies for drainboard sinks accessible. Fireclay drainboard sinks are non-porous, scratch resistant, and proof against chips and dings. Fireclay is a straightforward upkeep materials you can hold clear with a fast wipe down every day.
Fireclay drainboard sinks have an analogous look to forged iron drainboard sinks however are a extra affordable value. Many fireclay sinks have a farmhouse drainboard sink type, although generally, there may be not the identical selection that exists for different supplies like chrome steel.
Granite composite sinks encompass a cloth that features granite combined with crushed quartz, stone mud, and acrylic resin. It’s a sturdy and robust materials that’s frequent for brown and black drainboard sinks. It’s warmth and scratch resistant. Although granite composite sinks are lighter than full granite sinks, they are going to nonetheless require some further structural help.
Solid acrylic is a typical various to forged iron or fireclay sinks. Acrylic drainboard sinks have an analogous look to forged iron however it’s lighter and cheaper. These sinks are available a variety of colours and in addition completely different end choices together with gloss and matte. Acrylic drainboard sinks should not as scratch or warmth resistant as stronger supplies. Warmth harm could trigger the sinks to discolor or warp the end.
The most typical mounting choices for drainboard sinks are drop-in sink or an undermount sink.
- Drop-in Sink – A drop-in sink can also be known as a prime mount sink, over mount sink, or self-rimming sink. It has a rim across the edge that curves over the countertop. You may drop this sink right into a pre-cut gap within the countertop. The sting of the countertop helps the sink which works properly for heavy drainboard sinks made from fireclay and forged iron. This type just isn’t as modern as undermounting and in addition creates a rim that makes it exhausting to brush crumbs into the sink. It additionally creates an edge that traps crumbs between the sink and counter.
- Undermount Sink – Undermounted sinks are a contemporary type that has gained reputation over time. These encompass sinks which might be mounted beneath the counter edge. This creates a modern type that doesn’t require any further counter house for the rim. Most drainboard sinks are drop-in varieties due to the water that may acquire on the drainboard. This type just isn’t pretty much as good for heavy sink varieties like forged iron and fireclay.
You’ll find drainboard sinks ranging in lots of sizes. These sinks are typically bigger than different small sink varieties due to the drainboard extension. A number of the smallest sizes have been 24- 27 inches lengthy (facet to facet) and 18 inches broad (entrance to again). Medium drainboard sink sizes vary from 30-40 inches lengthy and 18-20 inches broad. Giant drainboard sinks which regularly function two basins with two drainboards can vary from 45-70+ inches lengthy and 20- 24.5 inches broad.
Drainboard Sink Execs and Cons
Drainboard sinks are a sensible and delightful sink possibility for a lot of kitchen designs. But, they do have drawbacks that you need to think about earlier than you buy one on your house.
- Extra House for Dishes – Drainboards with one or two drainboards enable loads of further room to do the dishes and permit them to dry with out crowding up your counter house.
- Power Financial savings – Permitting dishes to air dry moderately than utilizing an computerized dishwasher means that you can save vitality prices.
- Fragile Objects – Hand washing gadgets like crystal glasses is healthier for them than utilizing an computerized dishwasher and having loads of house to permit them to dry retains them safer.
- Place for Sizzling Dishes – The drainboard will enable you an additional place to set scorching dishes and pots for those who go for a warmth resistant drainboard sink. Use granite composite, fireclay, or chrome steel if you’d like probably the most warmth resistant possibility.
- Counter House – Drainboard sinks are likely to take up extra space than typical sinks. This might not be the best choice if counter house is a premium in your kitchen.
- Upkeep – Most sinks with drainboards function ridges and valleys. These can acquire particles and filth over time that you need to wipe right down to hold clear.
- Value – Drainboard sinks should not as frequent as normal sinks. Due to this fact, these shall be costlier as a result of they’re a customized type.
Drainboard Sink Shopping for Information
We have now scoured the choices to seek out you some high quality drainboard sinks of all kinds and sizes.
Elkay Lustertone Traditional Stainless Metal Drainboard Sink
It is a drop in drainboard chrome steel sink from Elkay. It options the very best high quality 18 gauge nickel bearing chrome steel. It’s scratch resistant and sturdy for exhausting carrying kitchens. It’s 43 inches back and forth and 22 inches from entrance to again. It’s 10 inches deep.
Tansi Double Bowl Drop-in Sink
This double sink with drainboard is fabricated with a granite composite making it sturdy and straightforward care. It’s scratch and stain resistant which means that it’ll look nice for years to come back. This design incorporates a double basin. It’s 46 inches lengthy and 19.5 inches broad. It has a depth of 16 inches.
Whitehaus Classic Farmhouse Drainboard Sink
This farmhouse drainboard sink is produced from fireclay, one of the vital sturdy and straightforward care sink supplies accessible. It options a sexy apron entrance, indicative of the farmhouse sink type.
It’s completed on each side, so to mount the drainboard on the suitable or left facet. You may set up this sink as an undermount or perhaps a flush mount type the place the highest is stage with the counter. It’s 36 inches lengthy and 20 inches broad. It has a depth of 10 inches.
Solid Iron Wall Mount Drainboard Sink
This sink is an effective possibility for you in case you are on the lookout for a classic kitchen sink with drainboard. It options forged iron which is the commonest historic materials for classic sinks. It’s essential to mount this explicit sink on the wall because the flange across the sink is just too excessive to mount on a base cupboard. This sink is 42 inches lengthy and 20 inches broad. It’s 16 deep.
Copper Double Drainboard Sink
Take into account a copper drainboard sink in case you are out there for a one-of-a-kind sink. Copper is sturdy, antibacterial, and delightful. This sink incorporates a double drainboard and a large basin helpful for laundry giant pots and pans. It’s crafted from 16 gauge copper. You will have to reapply a beeswax coating about each month to maintain it wanting its finest. It’s 71 inches lengthy, 18 inches broad, and 9 inches deep.