Hardboard siding is an engineered wooden product and a less expensive different to conventional wooden siding. It includes wooden fibers, resin, and wax certain collectively beneath excessive strain and warmth. Hardboard siding is simple to put in, sturdy, and has numerous design choices.
Hardboard Siding Professionals and Cons
- Aesthetic enchantment: Hardboard siding mimics the looks of wooden siding, making it appropriate for numerous architectural kinds. Its pure wooden grain texture provides depth and character to your private home’s exterior.
- Cheaper than wooden siding: The siding possibility gives related aesthetics as conventional wooden siding for a cheaper price.
- Out there in numerous textures and finishes: Hardboard siding is available in numerous finishes, from easy surfaces to wooden grain patterns. It’s customizable to swimsuit totally different design kinds and preferences.
- Sturdiness: With correct set up and upkeep, hardboard siding can final a number of many years. In distinction to pure wooden siding, it’s extra immune to cracking, splitting, and warping.
- Susceptible to moisture injury: Failing to seal your hardboard siding results in water injury and points akin to mould, mildew, and decay.
- Potential for swelling or deterioration: On account of moisture injury, hardboard siding tends to swell, warp, or deteriorate over time.
Principal Sorts of Hardboard Siding
Commonplace hardboard siding is probably the most primary different. It incorporates a easy floor on one facet and a tough texture on the opposite. Commonplace hardboard siding could be painted or stained to fit your design preferences.
It fits residential and business properties that want cheaper, extra sturdy, customizable siding. The siding possibility is good for exterior partitions, garages, and sheds.
Tempered hardboard has additional resins and coverings to extend its hardiness, energy, and moisture resistance. Not like customary hardboards, this kind is much less susceptible to warming and swelling.
The hardboard sort has easy sides, leading to a extra refined look. Tempered hardboard siding is good for areas with greater humidity or excessive climate.
Pre-finished hardboard siding comes with a factory-applied end, akin to paint or stain. The siding eliminates additional prices after set up. It gives a constant and professional-looking end that’s typically extra sturdy than an on-site end.
Owners in search of a low-maintenance, ready-to-install possibility ought to think about pre-finished hardboard siding.
The way to Set up Hardboard Siding
Instruments and Supplies Required
- Hardboard siding panels
- Galvanized nails or screws
- Hammer or nail gun
- Energy drill (if utilizing screws)
- Round noticed or jigsaw (for reducing the siding)
- Chalk line
- Home wrap or constructing paper (moisture barrier)
- Starter strip
- Furring strips (non-obligatory for uneven surfaces)
- Flashing and trim (for edges, corners, and round home windows/doorways)
- Paint primer
- Paint/ stain
Hardboard Siding Set up Directions
- Put together the floor: The floor ought to be clear and flat. Take away any current siding and test for any protrusions or tough spots that must be sanded down.
- Set up the moisture barrier: Set up home wrap over the floor to stop water injury. Use a breathable barrier to permit air circulation.
- Set up trim: Lay the trim flat on the corners and round all home windows and doorways.
- Lower the siding panels: Measure the floor size the place you’ll set up the siding, and reduce the siding panels to suit. Subtract ¼-inch from the precise size to depart a spot of ⅛-inch between the siding and every nook trim. This permits for growth.
- Prime and paint the panels: Apply primer on the back and front sides of the siding panels. Go away to dry, then cowl with two coats of paint on the entrance, again and edges.
- Set up the primary row: Permit a 6-inch house between the siding and the bottom to stop water from seeping by way of. Set up a starter strip on the sill plate, and nail down the underside fringe of the siding by way of the starter strip.
- Set up the remaining rows: Set up the items of siding up the home. Every course of siding ought to have a 1-inch overlap with the earlier course. Nail by way of each programs into the wall studs, utilizing two or three nails each 32 inches.
- Examine and end the set up: Apply caulking to gaps between the siding, trim, and round home windows and doorways.
Value of Putting in Hardboard Siding
Hardboard siding materials prices between $3 to $7 per sq. foot. Labor prices vary from $3 to $14 per sq. foot, relying on the complexity of set up. Supplies akin to paint, caulk, and fasteners improve the ultimate value.
Elements Affecting the General Value
- Value of supplies: Various kinds of siding have various prices. Whereas prefinished hardboard is costlier than customary choices, it eliminates additional set up prices.
- Set up prices: Labor prices range attributable to variations within the residence design, location and seasonal wage charges.
- Floor preparation: Eradicating and disposing of current siding, trimming, and repairing broken partitions improve prices.
- Sealing, portray, or staining: Supplies and labor prices for caulking, portray, or staining contribute to the ultimate value.
Hardboard Siding vs. Vinyl Siding
Hardboard siding is made out of compressed wooden fibers, whereas vinyl siding is made out of PVC plastic. Whereas hardboard has a wood-like look, vinyl siding is easy and uniform. Vinyl siding is a low-maintenance possibility because it’s not susceptible to water injury like hardboard wooden siding.
Hardboard Siding vs. HardiePlank
HardiePlank or fiber cement siding is a mix of cement, sand, and cellulose fibers. Whereas it’s costlier than hardboard siding, HardiePlank is extra sturdy in harsh climate situations. Each siding sorts are available in pre-finished choices, which reduces upkeep prices.
Hardboard Siding Upkeep
- Common inspection: Test the siding for water streaks, black marks, bulging or flaking paint. These are indicators of water seeping by way of seams, joints, and holes.
- Correct sealing and portray: Repainting is important each 5-10 years to take care of the siding look. It additionally prevents moisture injury.
- Repairing broken boards: Restore any broken sections by scrapping off unfastened paint and particles, repainting, and caulking. Changing hardboard siding sections can also be possible.
- Stopping moisture-related points: Sealing exterior hardboard siding prevents moisture injury. In the event you discover any leaks round home windows or doorways, tackle the problem instantly.