Hardie Board Siding is a model of fiber cement siding. It’s a sturdy materials with loads of choices for personalization.
Even so, some could marvel what units it aside from extra conventional siding choices like vinyl and wooden.
What’s Hardie Board Siding?
Hardie Board is manufactured by James Hardie Industries. It’s a sort of fiber cement siding that individuals check with as “Hardie Board” or “hardiboard.” Typically when folks reference Hardie Board, they’re speaking about all varieties of fiber cement siding as an alternative of this particular model.
Fiber cement siding is a powerful, long-lasting materials made up of sand, cement, and wooden fibers. As soon as blended and cured, this mix creates a siding that may stand the check of time and components. Since James Hardie was the primary firm to fabricate fiber cement siding, they’ve develop into synonymous with this product.
Professionals of Hardie Board Siding
Hardie Board provides many advantages to its customers.
- Customization: Whether or not you desire a horizontal or vertical look, you will get it with Hardie Board. From easy planks to shingles or lap siding, there’s no scarcity of choice. Likewise, Hardie Board additionally has texture choices, together with clean, grained, and tough textures.
- Pest Proof: As a consequence of its distinctive mixture of supplies, Hardie Board is immune to pests corresponding to ants and termites. It additionally deters birds and squirrels, critters which are identified to sink their enamel into extra weak supplies corresponding to wooden siding.
- Sturdiness: Against different siding supplies, boards made by James Hardie are constructed to final and are weather-resistant. You received’t have to fret about water intrusion, fading, or warping.
- Eco-Pleasant: James Hardie Industries’ code of sustainability provides owners the reassurance that they’re shopping for a product with low detrimental affect.
- Hearth Resistant: Hardie Board is a non-combustible substance. Not like wooden siding, it received’t assist in fueling a hearth. Likewise, its fireproof properties maintain it from catching hearth when topic to direct flames.
- Low Upkeep: Hardie Board siding carries little in the way in which of upkeep necessities, which is among the causes it’s such a horny alternative. A easy rinse and scrub each 6 months to a 12 months will maintain your siding wanting good as new.
- Guarantee: Not like most different siding choices, James Hardie Industries supplies its clients with an unbelievable guarantee. For his or her primary siding, they provide a 30-year guarantee on their merchandise, not together with protection on their ColorPlus Know-how.
Cons of Hardie Board Siding
Regardless that there are extra professionals than cons, it’s all the time good to have all the knowledge when making a big funding. Listed below are a couple of disadvantages to think about when selecting James Hardie siding merchandise.
- Prolonged Set up: Hardie Board siding tends to be heavier than different siding supplies, making it tougher to work with. It’s due to this further weight that your set up would require extra precision and time, thus an extended set up timeframe.
- General Value: The general price of Hardie Board siding is bigger than different choices, like vinyl, for instance. To not point out, extra manpower is required to put in the Hardie Board, including to labor prices as nicely.
How A lot Does Fiber Cement Siding Value?
As with every residence mission, complete price is a significant component. Regardless that an actual price hinges on the dimensions and scope of your mission, you will get a basic concept of the price of Hardie Board to assist get you began.
- The common price of Hardiboard with materials and labor is $13,893.
- The common price of fiber cement siding per sq. foot with materials and labor is $10.00.
- The common price of fiber cement panels is $2.50 to $15.00 per sq. foot.
- The common price of fiber cement shingles is $2.00 to $6.00 per sq. foot.
- The common price of Hardiboard planks is $0.70 to $8.00 per sq. foot.
Observe: These are trade averages and high quality fiber cement manufacturers like James Hardie could price extra.
How is Hardie Board put in?
Hardie Board is heavier than most different varieties of siding. In the event you’re planning on a DIY set up of fiber cement board, guarantee you’ve got loads of assist to carry the boards in place when you fasten them.
- Prep Work: Clear objects away from the outside of the house, take away outdated siding, and prep the wooden (or base supplies) with home wrap. Marking the studs at this level within the mission might be useful in the long term.
- Measure and Mark: Begin by measuring 6 inches up from the bottom, marking that distance to make sure correct clearance. In the event you’re putting in above concrete, you’ll solely must measure 2 inches up. Subsequent, measure your boards and trim based mostly on your own home’s specs. Measure your siding boards to finish at a stud for correct fastening.
- Reduce: When you’ve made your measurements and marks, it’s time to chop. Previous to slicing, double-check your math. As a consequence of materials thickness, you may additionally think about using a jigsaw or scoring device to assist in making cuts. Final, shield your self by taking a couple of easy security precautions. These embrace sporting glasses, goggles, and a masks. Reduce with gradual focus to keep away from damage.
- Fasten Siding: There are a number of issues to think about when fastening the boards. Together with the kind of fastener and technique. As an illustration, the blind nailing method or face nailing method is relevant to the lap board fashion, a standard alternative for Hardie Board. With blind nailing, the fasteners will conceal behind the board above. With face nailing, the fastener might be uncovered, going by each the baseboard and the overlapping board.
Different kinds like board and batten, vertical fashion, and shingles require their very own fastening steps. See your producer’s directions for extra element.
- Set up Trim: When nailing in your trim, be certain that your nail has penetrated all ranges, most significantly the wooden framing. Common framing nails ought to do tremendous; simply ensure they’re lengthy sufficient to make it by a minimum of 1 inch of the body. (Observe: Trim items don’t must be product of fiber cement, you should utilize different supplies for this.)
- Set up Siding: As with the fastening course of, every fashion would require totally different steps. For the favored lap siding choice, work from the underside up, beginning by putting in a wooden lath. This lath will push out the primary backside board to create the angle you want. For a mode like board and batten, you’ll want to put in the bottom layer of clean Hardie Board alongside all the exterior floor. Then you’ll be able to set up Hardie Board battens vertically, one after the other, each 16 to 24 inches. Whereas every fashion could have its personal set of set up directions, it’s important your siding is put in with framing penetration in thoughts, whatever the fashion chosen.
- Ending: Relying on the fashion of board put in, you’ll need to end your mission by making use of caulk to weak areas. Depart a 1/8-inch hole on all finish joints for this goal.
Can You Paint Hardie Board?
Sure, you’ll be able to paint Hardie Board. You may even purchase pre-primed fiber cement siding to assist minimize down on portray time. Different choices, like James Hardie’s Colour Plus Know-how, include a baked-on primer and paint shade that may final for a minimum of 15 years earlier than it’s worthwhile to repaint.
How Do You Clear Hardie Board Siding?
If you’re prepared to wash Hardie Board, keep away from utilizing a strain washer. As an alternative, you’ll want a soft-bristled scrub brush and a backyard hose. Begin by wetting an space of siding, then scrub together with your brush and rinse. If you wish to use a cleansing answer, add a couple of drops of Daybreak Dishsoap to a bucket of water. You should definitely rinse the cleaning soap from the siding earlier than it has an opportunity to dry.
Examples of Hardie Board on Actual Houses
Up to date Residence with Fiber Cement Siding
James Hardie clapboard adorns the higher half of this up to date residence whereas its horizontal board and batten covers the decrease stage with crisp, clear traces.
Fashionable Farmhouse with Hardie Board
This contemporary farmhouse exudes nation consolation with its white fiber cement siding. It options the Hardie plank lapboard fashion.
Craftsman Residence with Fiber Cement Siding
Blended supplies make up this craftsman magnificence. It contains a muted grey James Hardie siding in each board and batten planks and clapboard. The earthy-toned stonework enhances the siding.
Conventional Residence with Fiber Cement Siding
The outside of this grey traditional-style cottage makes use of shingle fiber cement siding as an attention grabbing accent on the entrance balcony. Lap board siding covers the remainder of the house.
Fashionable Residence with Hardie Board
Darkish fiber cement siding embellish this reworked split-level residence. The stained wooden siding acts as a wonderful distinction.
Steadily Requested Questions (FAQ)FAQ
Will I get an insurance coverage break for utilizing Hardie Board?
Just a little identified incontrovertible fact that’s price investigating, some insurance coverage firms provides you with a reduction on owners insurance coverage when you have Hardie Board put in. Its hearth resistance is the first contributor to this value break. Whether or not you’re putting in cement board on a brand new construct or transferring into a house with present Hardie siding, it’s price a name to your insurance coverage firm.
Are there knock offs of Hardie Board siding?
As with every good product, the knock offs are inevitable. Whereas there are many firms which have tried to copy Hardie Board siding, none have created a greater product. James Hardie siding stays the chief in cement board siding, having confirmed its superior sturdiness. You might strive a knock off model however ultimately, you get what you pay for.
Is there a particular caulking that must be used with Hardie Board?
Making use of caulk is a important step within the set up strategy of James Hardie siding, however that’s dependent upon which kind of Hardie Board you employ. Not all fiber cement must be caulked. That mentioned, if the board you’ve used requires caulk, James Hardie Industries recommends utilizing a completely versatile choice.