Bamboo counter tops are more and more widespread with owners as an alternative choice to conventional supplies due to their sturdiness, sustainability, and heat. Counter tops constituted of treelike grass bamboo supply the same look and texture to wooden counter tops however are more durable and longer lasting.
In contrast to marble and granite counter tops, bamboo presents gorgeous magnificence at a fraction of the price. Bamboo can also be a fast-growing materials, so you’ll be able to be ok with utilizing this renewable useful resource as a part of your eco-friendly kitchen design.
Kinds of Bamboo Counter tops
There are 4 major kinds of bamboo counter tops that current totally different floor appearances: vertical grain, finish grain, flat grain, and strand woven.
- Vertical Grain – Vertical grain bamboo counter tops are the commonest model for bamboo counter tops. Producers create this model after they be a part of collectively strips of bamboo to create a vertical sample. You possibly can acknowledge this model due to the striped sample and the vertical orientation of the strains.
- Finish Grain – Finish grain bamboo counter tops are also referred to as parquet butcher block and might function the identical sample. Producers make these counter tops by gluing brief blocks of bamboo collectively in distinct patterns. Due to the tight grain and sample of one of these countertop, it’s the finest bamboo floor for resisting scratches.
- Flat Grain – Flat grain counter tops are additionally referred to as face grain as a result of they’re created by opening the bamboo and becoming a member of the items face-up.
- Strand Woven – Strand woven counter tops do not need the stark strains that grain counter tops do. As a substitute, producers create these counter tops by weaving strands along with adhesive after which urgent them below excessive stress. Strand woven bamboo counter tops have an look that’s extra much like strong wooden.
Development of Bamboo Counter tops
All bamboo counter tops require adhesive and stress to bind the items collectively as there isn’t a piece of bamboo massive sufficient to create a very strong floor. That stated, there are strong bamboo counter tops and plywood bamboo counter tops and so they differ within the uncooked supplies used to create the top product. Each of those building strategies produce counter tops which are sturdy, onerous, and appropriate for kitchen use.
- Stable Bamboo Counter tops – Stable bamboo counter tops come in several thicknesses and inner constructions. Producers create them by gluing strong bamboo items collectively in numerous patterns.
- Plywood Bamboo Counter tops – Fabricators make plywood bamboo counter tops by gluing sheets of bamboo collectively below excessive stress. After fabricators create the boards or panels, they’ll minimize them aside to show totally different grain patterns.
Price of Bamboo Counter tops
Bamboo counter tops value between $25-$100 per sq. foot for simply the supplies. For a 50-square-foot part, count on to pay between $2,000-$3,000 on common for the counter tops. Labor prices are likely to run between $5-$15 per sq. foot. The value will probably be roughly relying on the kind of bamboo utilized in creating the countertop in addition to the standard and sturdiness of the adhesives.
The most costly sort of bamboo counter tops is created from Moso bamboo, which is well-known for its power and sturdiness. Adhesives that don’t use formaldehyde and are environmentally pleasant enhance the worth however are higher for making a wholesome kitchen atmosphere. It can save you cash in your bamboo counter tops by evaluating costs between producers, ready for gross sales, buying a cheaper model and end often called builder’s grade, and putting in the bamboo counter tops your self.
On a regular basis Take care of Bamboo Counter tops
The on a regular basis care of bamboo counter tops is easy and easy however needs to be maintained if you wish to protect the standard of your bamboo counter tops.
- Clear Spills Promptly – Like wooden counter tops, bamboo can stain if left uncovered to standing water. Clear up liquid spills as they happen.
- Keep away from Abrasive Merchandise – Use a mushy material or sponge and heat water or gentle cleaning soap to scrub the floor as wanted. Don’t use abrasive cleaners or pads, as these can scratch the floor.
- Use Reducing Boards – Moderately than minimize immediately on the floor of your bamboo counter tops, use reducing boards to organize meals. It will stop scratches and dents from marring the floor.
- Use Trivets and Scorching Pads – Bamboo counter tops can not face up to warmth and might burn if uncovered to sizzling surfaces. Use trivets for decent pans and pots to keep away from marking the floor.
Lengthy-Time period Upkeep for Bamboo Counter tops
It’s best to count on some long-term care of bamboo counter tops to maintain them wanting attractive.
- Keep away from Injury – Observe proactive upkeep of your counter tops and keep away from actions that may create injury. Use reducing boards for meals prep. Don’t depart any standing water or different liquid on the countertop, which creates stains. Don’t use abrasive cleaners or scouring pads, which destroy the end on the counter tops. Additionally, don’t place sizzling pots and pans immediately on the floor of the bamboo with out a trivet or sizzling plate. Doing this could create burn marks that must be eliminated with sanding.
- Oil the Floor Frequently – It’s important that you simply apply a coat of oil to your bamboo counter tops each couple of months to be able to keep away from a dry and brittle floor. Use a food-safe oil like linseed, tung, or mineral oil. Apply the oil with a mushy material. Enable the oil to penetrate the floor earlier than wiping off the surplus with a clear material.
- Think about a Sealer – Some individuals use linseed, tung, or mineral oil to seal the floor of their bamboo counter tops. Others desire a extra long-lasting possibility like polyurethane or varnish. A protracted-term sealant shouldn’t be a vital step and needs to be thought of in mild of household allergens and meals publicity preferences.
- Sand Out Scratches – When scratches or dents happen, you’ll want to sand them out with fine-grit sandpaper. Use sandpaper that has a grit of 120-180. Fastidiously sand within the route of the grain till you’ve got eliminated the mark and the floor is clean once more. Use a better grain to complete if you would like the floor smoother.
- Handle Injury Rapidly – All the time tackle any issues together with your counter tops shortly as leaving them can create bigger issues as time passes.
Execs and Cons of Bamboo Counter tops
Bamboo counter tops have distinct qualities that create distinctive positives and negatives that you need to take into account earlier than an preliminary funding.
- Eco-Pleasant – Bamboo is a renewable useful resource as a result of it’s a fast-growing useful resource that may be harvested with out harming the atmosphere. The bamboo plant requires little or no water to develop and might thrive with out pesticides and fertilizers making it a extra eco-friendly countertop than different wooden choices.
- Affordability – Bamboo counter tops are cheaper than pure stone counter tops like granite and marble. In comparison with wooden counter tops, they’re much like many mid-range decisions however lower than high-priced woods like teak and unique woods like zebrawood.
- Straightforward Care – Bamboo counter tops are straightforward to scrub and keep, as you’ll be able to wipe them down with a mushy material and water. They naturally resist the expansion of micro organism and mould.
- Look – Bamboo has the identical heat and textured look as wooden counter tops. You possibly can differ the look of bamboo counter tops in line with the model of the floor.
- Sturdiness – Bamboo is a tough and sturdy materials. It has a wonderful strength-to-weight ratio making bamboo kitchen counter tops a great floor for counter tops.
- Liable to Scratches – Although bamboo is sturdy, it’s vulnerable to scratches from knives, pots, and pans. You will need to be aware that you would be able to simply sand out the scratches when wanted.
- Common Upkeep – The upkeep of bamboo is simple however it does must be continually maintained to ensure that the counter tops to look their finest. This consists of common cleansing and oiling of the floor.
- Water Resistance – Bamboo counter tops usually are not water-proof. You will need to clear up spills from water and different liquids shortly and never permit them to take a seat as they’ll trigger staining.
- Warmth Resistance – Bamboo kitchen counter tops can not face up to warmth and might burn if uncovered to scalding surfaces.
- Restricted Shade and Designs – Bamboo is on the market in only one colour, although in quite a lot of configurations. It’s doable to vary the colour of the bamboo countertop with both stain or darkish oils, however one should apply the stain rigorously as bamboo takes stain otherwise than many softwoods.