A parapet roof is an enlargement or addition of a wall on the roofline. Whereas most notable for medieval castles and temples, you may also discover this roof fashion on residential houses.
What’s a Parapet Roof?
Parapet comes from the Italian phrase ‘parapetto,’ which suggests to cowl or defend. A parapet roof contains a wall or barrier that extends previous the roof, performing as a sort of railing.
Parapet roofs originated in historical occasions as a technique of protection. Army members would stand behind the partitions, utilizing them to defend themselves from invaders. At the moment, the aim of parapet roofs is to create security rails, home tools, function decor, or shield roofing supplies from excessive winds.
Varieties of Parapet Roofs
At the moment’s parapet roofs are a lot completely different than these in medieval occasions. Nonetheless, they’re not unusual, and there’s multiple sort.
- Plain – A plain parapet roof is a strong wall most frequently used to create privateness on the rooftops of residential residences and condominium buildings. Concrete is a high materials alternative for plain parapets, and this fashion will not be ornamental.
- Embattled – Embattled Parapets originated in historical occasions and have excessive and low sections of partitions. The staggering of partitions gave navy members a niche to shoot weapons and better spans of partitions to take cowl. Medieval castles and historical buildings usually boasted embattled parapet roofs.
- Paneled – Panelled parapets are strong however characteristic an ornamental design on the outside.
- Perforated – Perforated parapets characteristic a wall above the roofline with a design sample that includes perforations or openings.
Can You Add a Parapet to a Sloped Roof?
Whereas parapets are hottest for flat roofs, you’ll be able to add them to sloped roofs. However since you’ll be able to’t retailer tools or lounge on a steep-sloped roof, the principle profit is aesthetics. Some trendy or minimalist-style architects will camouflage a gable roof by including a parapet and creating the phantasm of a flat roof.
The Professionals and Cons of a Parapet Roof
If you happen to’re contemplating including a parapet to your house, right here’s a rundown of the professionals and cons.
- It will probably add ornamental element to a house.
- A parapet could make a gable roof seem like a flat roof, very best for modern-style structure.
- When you’ve got a flat roof, a parapet can work as a railing, making your rooftop house safer or supplying you with an area to hide out of doors tools.
- A well-constructed parapet can assist defend a roof from wind injury.
- Parapet roofs may be costly, and most roofers aren’t accustomed to this design.
- There’s an elevated probability of leaks the place the parapet meets the wall and fringe of the roof.
- Including a parapet to a sloped roof doesn’t create usable house.
Examples of Parapet Roofs
Right here’s a have a look at the kinds and examples of parapet roofs.
Flat Roof with Parapets
In trendy occasions, flat roofs are the commonest sort to boast parapets. These extending partitions outline lounging house and rooftop decks. Featured on this image is an instance of a plain parapet and a perforated trendy parapet roof design.
Instance of Perforated Parapet
Perforated parapets characteristic openings of their design, which you’ll see over the patio roof of this Dutch colonial dwelling. The parapet wall provides to the normal look of the home but in addition capabilities as a security railing.
Embattled Parapet Roof on a Fort
Authentic kinds seemed like this instance of an embattled parapet roof on a citadel. The early model of a parapet supplied navy members safety towards assaults but in addition gave them a spot to fireplace weapons or have a excessive vantage level.