Butcher block counter tops are particular person items of wooden certain collectively to type one massive floor. They arrive in numerous wooden species, which have an effect on their coloration and grain sample.
There are two methods by which items of wooden are joined collectively in butcher block: edge grain and finish grain. Edge-grained counter tops have longer horizontal items finger-joined collectively and are the most typical sort. Finish-grain building makes use of quick vertical items certain collectively, resembling a tone-on-tone checkerboard.
Sorts of Wooden for Butcher Block Counters
Shut-grained woods are perfect for counter tops making cherry, walnut, and maple prime decisions. Onerous rock maple is without doubt one of the hottest butcher block supplies because it has a good grain and is cheaper than cherry or walnut. You may also discover these counters constructed from oak, birch, beech, acacia, bamboo, and unique woods like iroko and zebrawood.
Price for Butcher Block Counter tops
The value of butcher block counter tops varies by species of wooden, the thickness of the countertop, and general high quality. Anticipate to pay wherever from $50-$300 per sq. foot to buy and set up your counter tops.
How you can Take care of Butcher Block Counter tops
Wooden counters like butcher block require ongoing care and upkeep.
Select the Proper End
After set up, you must determine on one of the best end possibility in your counters. There are a number of to select from, every with a special stage of upkeep.
- Pure End – For those who intend to arrange meals in your counter tops, use a end that’s food-safe. Pure finishes like mineral oil, tung oil, and beeswax are good choices. These have a stupendous look whenever you first apply them, however they are going to put on away briefly order. For those who just like the look of the pure finishes however don’t need the fixed upkeep, think about a hardened tung oil and resin product like Waterlox or Watco Butcher Block Oil and End. These will maintain your counter tops trying good for an extended time.
- Stain – If you wish to change the colour of the counter tops, you’ll have to stain and seal them. Select both a water-based or oil-based stain components and a coordinating sealer.
- Polyurethane – Polyurethane is a transparent coat you possibly can apply to your counter tops. Whereas it’s long-lasting, it’s not meals secure, so don’t put together meals straight in your counters.
How you can Clear Butcher Block
As a way to stop large-scale harm to your counter tops, clear your butcher block countertop frequently.
- Clear up any spills as they occur since they will stain your counter tops.
- Scrape up meals residue being cautious to not nick the counter tops.
- Scrub the counter tops with a scrub brush utilizing gentle cleaning soap and sizzling water. Rinse the counter tops with some water and a gentle fabric.
- As soon as every week, sanitize your counter tops with white vinegar. Spray undiluted vinegar on the counter tops. Permit it to take a seat for a couple of minutes, after which wipe away.
- Dry the counter tops.
Keep Your Butcher Block Counter tops
Butcher block counter tops require ongoing upkeep to maintain them in fine condition.
- If in case you have a pure end like mineral oil or beeswax in your counter tops, you must reapply it each 2-4 weeks to maintain your counter tops conditioned.
- Forestall harm by by no means putting scalding pots or dishes in your butcher block kitchen counter tops.
- Use reducing boards to forestall cuts and scratches
- Take away stains in your butcher block counter tops with lemon juice, one cup of water, and a tsp of hydrogen peroxide. Rub this resolution on the stain with a humid fabric after which wipe dry. You may also strive rubbing the stain with lemon and salt.
- In case your butcher block counter tops present scorches, stains, or scratches, you possibly can sand them down. Take 220 grit sandpaper, and sand down the broken areas. Clear the counters after which reapply your ending coat.
- Keep away from cleaners that include bleach or harsh chemical cleaners. Don’t use scouring pads with stiff bristles, as they might harm the end. Some fabricators additionally heat in opposition to utilizing merchandise like Murphy’s Oil Cleaning soap which leaves an oily residue on the wooden.
Butcher Block Counter tops: Professionals and Cons
- Price – Butcher block counter tops value a lot lower than pure varieties like marble however nonetheless have a high-end look.
- Versatility – Butcher block counter tops work with each model of kitchen, from trendy to conventional. You may also combine them with different counter supplies.
- Look and Texture – No different countertop will match the stunning tones and heat texture of butcher block.
- Longevity – With correct care, butcher block counter tops will final for round 20 years.
- Skill to Refinish – In contrast to artificial counter tops, it’s simple to sand down and refinish butcher block.
- Set up – Butcher block counter tops are simple for DIYers to put in.
- Price – Butcher block counter tops value greater than laminate, Corian, and typically granite.
- Non-resistance – Wooden just isn’t as resistant as stone to warmth and scratches.
- Upkeep – Wooden counter tops require common care and upkeep.
- Mud and Grime – Mud and dirt don’t disappear on butcher block counter tops like they do on variegated surfaces like granite or quartz.
Butcher Block Countertop Design
Butcher block counter tops work effectively with numerous kitchen designs. We now have gathered a few of the finest in your inspiration.
Butcher Block Counters in a Up to date Kitchen
Jaffe Structure + Interiors designed this contemporary-style kitchen. They used a thick walnut butcher block countertop to adjoin the quartzite counters. This provides the homeowners a placing meals prep space that’s near the sink.
Butcher Block Counters in a Historic House
This kitchen design from Balding Brothers Restoration and Transforming features a farmhouse sink, butcher block counter tops, and shaker cupboards. These work effectively with a historic kitchen design that features trendy conveniences.
Fashionable Conventional Kitchen with Darkish Butcher Block Counters
This kitchen design options design parts of distinction. AKDO makes use of white cupboards with darkish butcher block to offer the room extra depth.
Gentle Butcher Block Counter tops with a Farmhouse Kitchen
One widespread pattern in butcher block counter tops is to pair them with white cupboards. This inside designer selected a thick maple countertop for the central island.
Regularly Requested Questions (FAQ)FAQ
Are butcher block counter tops a good selection?
Counter tops are a private selection. Butcher block counter tops aren’t any totally different. Some folks love the pure magnificence, layered texture, heat and price of butcher block counter tops. Individuals like this are keen to place up with the upkeep required to maintain these counter tops trying nice. To different folks, the common upkeep is an excessive amount of. Different folks might not like the best way they give the impression of being.
Are butcher block counter tops simple to keep up?
Butcher block counter tops are usually not troublesome to keep up. However the upkeep they require is frequently. There are some finishes like hardened tung oil with resin and polyurethane which create a extra lasting end.
The place can I discover butcher block counter tops close to me?
There are numerous suppliers that carry butcher block counters. These embody small woodshops and huge residence enchancment shops like Lowes and House Depot. In lots of massive cities, an IKEA butcher block countertop is without doubt one of the hottest choices. IKEA butcher block counter tops are made utilizing thick veneers. You will discover oak, walnut, birch, and ash veneer butcher block counter tops.
Which is one of the best type of butcher block wooden?
Maple is without doubt one of the hottest choices for butcher block counter tops. It’s onerous, has a horny tight grain, and it’s cheap. Cherry and walnut are different good choices for those who favor a wealthy coloration.