A roof membrane is a roofing system for flat and low-sloped roofs. They’re typically skinny, single layers of fabric, however thicker, built-up roofs additionally fall into this class.
Roofing membranes are frequent in industrial areas and on RVs, however you may also use them on residential roofs if the slope is lower than 3:12. They supply a watertight seal and, relying on the fabric, can last as long as 30 years.
Should you’re contemplating membrane roofing on your undertaking, right here’s what you must learn about the different sorts, prices, and lifespan.
5 Kinds of Roof Membranes
|Roof Membrane Kind
|Set up Technique
|Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO)
|Warmth weldable, reasonably priced, reflective (cuts AC prices), appropriate for decent climates
|Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM)
|Artificial rubber, elastic (freeze/thaw resistant), works properly in chilly, snowy areas
|Totally adhered, mechanically connected
|Minimal, periodic checks
|Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
|Sturdy, sturdy, puncture resistant, heat-reflective, very best for heat climates
|Warmth-welded, mechanically connected
|Constructed-Up Roofs (BUR)
|A number of layers together with insulation, ply sheet, bitumen
|Lengthy-lasting, consists of many layers (tar and gravel roofs), supplies wonderful safety
|Sizzling or chilly asphalt utilized
|Asphalt with rubber and fiberglass reinforcements
|Versatile, watertight, combines asphalt properties with added flexibility and power
Roof membranes aren’t one materials – as an alternative, they’re a system for flat roofs. Listed here are the 5 varieties to select from:
- TPO Single-Ply Roof Membrane – TPO stands for thermoplastic polyolefin. It’s warmth weldable and one of the reasonably priced single-ply roofing membranes for industrial buildings. TPO can also be reflective, which can assist lower air-con prices making it a good selection for decent climates.
- EPDM Membrane – EPDM stands for ethylene propylene diene monomer. It’s a single-ply artificial rubber roofing membrane that works properly in chilly, snowy areas. Because it’s elastic, it may possibly freeze and thaw with out cracking.
- PVC Roofing Membrane – PVC roofing is a powerful roofing membrane that’s sturdy and puncture resistant. It helps mirror warmth, making it very best for heat climates. It’s typical in airports and eating places.
- Constructed-Up Roofs (BUR) – Constructed-Up Roofs, also called tar and gravel roofs, include many layers of alternating materials. On the base is a sheet of insulation adopted by alternating layers of ply sheet and bitumen, topped with an mixture corresponding to stone or gravel. Because of the various layers, BURs are long-lasting.
- Modified Bitumen – Modified bitumen is a kind of rolled roofing that mixes asphalt with rubber and fiberglass reinforcements. Modified bitumen isn’t single-ply however is versatile and watertight.
How A lot Does a Roof Membrane Price?
The price of a roof membrane varies by location, methodology of software, situation of the roof, and dimension. Right here’s a take a look at the typical value of roof membranes, together with set up:
- TPO Roof Membrane: $4.50 – $14 per sq. foot
- EPDM Membrane: $4.25 – $12 per sq. foot
- PVC Membrane: $5.25 – $12.50 per sq. foot
- Constructed-Up Roof: $3.50 – $7 per sq. foot
- Modified Bitumen: $4 – $8 per sq. foot
The common flat roof restore is $700. Some frequent flat roof repairs embody fixing the drip edges, fixing seams, and repairing sags.
How Lengthy Do Roof Membranes Final?
The size of time a roofing membrane will final will depend on the sort, upkeep, and local weather. For instance, a Constructed-Up Roof can final 15-30 years, whereas modified bitumen and PVC final 20 years. A TPO roof will final 7-15 years, and an EPDM roof will final about 15 years.
What’s the Distinction Between Thermoset and Thermoplastic Roof Membranes?
|Thermoset Roof Membranes
|Thermoplastic Roof Membranes
|Single polymer that units irreversibly throughout curing. Examples: EPDM, CSPE
|Polymers that may be melted and reformed a number of instances. Examples: TPO, PVC
|Much less versatile, could also be liable to cracking.
|Extremely versatile and elastic, proof against cracking.
|Repairs difficult, patching with adhesives.
|Repairs simpler, welding methods generally used.
|Doubtlessly much less environmentally pleasant.
|Typically thought of extra environmentally pleasant, recyclable.
|GAF, Carlisle, Sika, Duro-Final
A thermoset roof membrane refers to how the strips of roofing connect to one another. The strips chemically bond collectively, forming one giant sheet moderately than a roof with many seams. The commonest kind of thermoset roofing membrane is EPDM.
Thermoplastic roofing membranes are plastic. When connected to the roof, the sheets don’t chemically mix. As a substitute, the strips join through warmth or solvent. Two of the preferred thermoplastic roofing techniques are TPO and PVC.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions (FAQ)FAQ
What’s one of the best roofing membrane for an RV?
Among the finest roof membranes for an RV is TPO. TPO is robust, and because it’s white, it doesn’t take in warmth. One of many largest cons is that it may possibly crack. One other fashionable choice is rubber EPDM. However since this materials isn’t puncture-resistant, low-hanging tree branches may cause points.
Is PVC higher than TPO roofing membrane?
Whereas TPO and PVC are thermoplastic membranes with related qualities, one of many essential variations is that PVC supplies extra puncture resistance. TPO, however, is recyclable, whereas PVC isn’t.
Is membrane roofing high-quality?
There are various ranges of high quality in membrane roofs relying on supplies and producers. However total, membrane roofing is a high-quality choice for flat and low-pitched roofs.
How do you put in roofing membranes?
Relying on the fabric and desire, you’ll be able to set up roofing membranes in some ways. Set up strategies embody warmth, adhesive, and peel-and-stick choices.
What membrane roofing is white?
TPO and PVC roofing membranes are white. It’s also possible to discover some white rubber roofing for flat roofs, though most manufacturers supply black EPDM roof membranes.
In case you have a flat or low-pitched roof, there are numerous choices for overlaying it. You wish to choose one thing applicable on your local weather, that’s watertight, and inside your finances. Should you stay in a scorching local weather, search for a cloth with a reflective floor that may assist lower your expenses on air-con.
A roof that may freeze and thaw with out cracking is a precedence for chilly or snowy climates. EPDM is one instance. Seek the advice of with a roofing contractor earlier than making your remaining choice.